Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Style Wednesday: A Review of J Crew's Songbird Bracelet by Marc Alary


The Style Wednesday posts have been sparse for the last couple of months.

There are a couple of reasons for that.  Since my purchases in the spring I have purchased very little.  Nor have I been putting together 'outfits' per se or feeling any great urge to take pictures of them.  Lest you think I am walking about town in some kind of sartorial slump, I have simply been a uniform of J Crew vintage tanks, a few other other nice linen tops and long skirts or tank dresses.

Nothing exciting or worth taking pictures about.

Except for the vintage tanks above, and the two dresses earlier in the spring, I have not purchased anything from J Crew this summer except this bracelet.

I have to say that I have been totally underwhelmed by J Crew this summer.  I am hopeful for the fall offerings, but not too hopeful.  And while I liked the two dresses I purchased in the spring, they have gotten less wear than the cheap jersey midi dresses I purchased at Joe Fresh

Midi DressStripe Racerback Midi Dress



Really I need less and less, and things I thought I might need have gone mostly unworn.  They will have their day at another time I suspect, but it is interesting to see how this working from home has changed everything so much and how I am still struggling to sort it all out.

I often still think I need things because it is a new season and that is how I always operated when I worked full time.

And while I still like to dress nicely, I prefer simpler things and I am not all that interested in paying as much money as I once was for clothing that will be worn only rarely.

However, one thing I did buy about 6 weeks ago, and keep forgetting to blog about, is the Marc Alary for J Crew Song Birds bracelet.


You may recall my obsession with all things bird:







So when I saw this bracelet and knew that I had a J Crew reward card that I could stack on top of the 20% off promo they were running at the time, I jumped at it.

It does not disappoint and is just the kind of piece that is fun to look down and see on your arm.  I have received many compliments when I wear it.  The small enameled birds are a delight.









Marc Alary is (apparently) known for his higher end jewelry.  I visited his website and discovered that I quite loved it, but there is no way I could possibly afford it.  My bracelet has the same style aesthetic, but lacks the price tag (and to be fair, the finer materials).

Who wouldn't want a fun monkey necklace?

Double Monkey Necklace


well for $20,000, not me...

So I am content with my little bracelet and highly recommend it for those of you who have been sitting on the fence about it.

Have a wonderful day and stay safe out there!

xoxo wendy


22 comments:

  1. I am not a bird person, and the bracekt stll caught my eye. It is nice to see some non-jeweled baubles on JCrew. It reminded me of some of the simpler Laurel Burch pieces for a while ago. Your bracelet is great.Oh- BTW Wendy- I don't think my response about your sewing machine was clear. Although I have access to someone's pricey Husqvarna Vikin computerized machine, I myself have an older simple mechanical one, which is adequate for almost everything. It just isn't as consistently smooth as I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Knityarns - appreciate the machine clarification! Agree - I am simpler - I have all but got rid of most of my 'statement' necklaces - packed or gave them away - not feeling real blingy!

      Delete
  2. It is quite an eye opener about our wardrobe thoughts when we cease to work outside the home! My wardrobe posts have taken a backseat since my retirement. I wear a uniform of tank tops jeans and a third layer...in winter cashmere sweaters and summer a light jersey top...your bracelet is cheerful and pretty. We all need a bit if whimsy now and then....hope life is getting back to normal after the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie - I hear you! I have really gone quite boho with a side of chic!

      Delete
  3. I have been quite lax in all things blog too. Even my daughter is disappointed by my sluggishness. Oh well...the bracelet is very pretty and should make one smile wearing it. Good job being picky and not falling into the retail game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful bracelet, not too keen on the monkey necklace - despite the price tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $20,000 for a monkey necklace is mary kate and ashley territory!

      Delete
  5. Hi Wendy, I'm in a similar uniform of Old Navy vintage tees and Gap broken in khakis. Our move is happening at the end of next week, moving into the new place the week after, so I'm trying to avoid anything that needs complicated laundering or ironing.

    The bird bracelet is very nice - I must admit that I'm not that keen on J. Crew jewellery; I find it a bit garish sometimes, but that piece is very sweet. Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - agree completely about the garishness - I haven't bought anything in months in that area!

      Delete
  6. I love this bracelet, nice summer piece. I have found easier to dress with less pieces and not buying outfits too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep winnowing down. Mostly, I am buying tshirts!

      Delete
  7. Oh boy, junk jewelry at its finest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable bracelet! Good find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite nice. The matching earrings were very Carmen Miranda!

      Delete
  9. Oh gosh, I was just going to say I will get that monkey bracelet for Tallulah who we have always called Monkey, but no maybe buy her a condo with the savings when she is 40...

    Love your new bird bracelet, the blue reminds me of Paua shell (think you call it abalone shell here ) which I love.

    Funnily enough am meeting another friend on Friday night who is dotty about birds and has beautiful glass dome things with nest and eggs and lovely feather treasures under them...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been virtually blog less of late and really give no thought to the clothes I throw on my body. But that bracelet is adorable. Really cute.
    Once I find a clothing "uniform" it negates any need for shopping either virtually or in store.
    At this stage I find costume jewelry the most fun!! Good find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I keep meaning to ask you if you own any Bryn Walker? I found a couple of white linen pieces that I adore and have pre-ordered a black jersey dress and leggings for fall. Very Eileen F, but half the price and still made in America!

      Delete
  11. The "not buying" feeling is with me more since I left the work force but can come roaring back at times. I still have items I paid more for than I usually do resting on hangars only getting out of the house rarely. I get that guilty feeling when I see them in my closet. Oh well can't be cured quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet whimsical piece; I am a huge bird lover and have a bluebird on my childhood charm bracelet. Now you need a hummingbird something...

    I have not shopped and not missed it; got a few basic pants, a linen shirt and 2 Tees. Bought a bag this spring from a New England co-- more than I would normally spend, but exactly great and will be the bag for a long while.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...